New Kerr County History Book Available!

Thursday, May 12, 2011

An early Kerrville postcard. Is it accurate?

I like this postcard -- but I don't think it's accurate.
Click on image to enlarge
Postcard, Kerrville, around the turn of the last century.
And I'm not talking about the misspelled word in the heading.  Printers are allowed a few misspelled words every now and then, right?
I just don't think the building behind the wool wagons is the Schreiner Wool Warehouse.  I think it's the building on Water Street that now houses Hill Country Living -- owned by Lyndia and Bill Rector.  The wool warehouse, across the street, had a different roof and different windows while the building shown here looks a lot like the Rectors' building.
If I'm right, the white building behind the stone building would be Pampell's, though, at the time, it might have been the Gregory Hotel.
The coloring on the mules is interesting, don't you think?  Now those are mules of a different color. (Blue.)
According to my friend Mindy Wendele, the gentleman on the horse is her grandfather, William Ward.
Thanks to Lanza Teague for sharing this postcard with me.

For more information about Joe's book, which has over 200 historic photographs
 of Kerrville, please click here.

1 comment:

  1. After looking at current photos of the building that is owned by the Rector's, I agree that it probably is their building.

    Of course, I also thought that Pluto would always be a planet.

    ReplyDelete

Please remember this is a rated "family" blog. Anything worse than a "PG" rated comment will not be posted. Grandmas and their grandkids read this, so please, be considerate.

AddThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails