New Kerr County History Book Available!

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

A rare shot of Captain Schreiner's home

Ox team, in front of Schreiner Mansion, Kerrville, perhaps as early as 1890.
I've seen this image in several collections, and I think I've published it here before, but I was studying it today and thought I'd share it here again.
This is a shot of an ox team in front of Capt. Charles Schreiner's home on Earl Garrett Street.  When this photo was taken, the street was called "Mountain Street."
Here are some interesting things in the photograph (at least to me):
  • the ox team, of course.  Such teams were the foundation of freighting around the hill country for many years.
  • Schreiner's home.  I notice ivy (or somesuch) along the wall of the house, and another plant near the right turrett of the house.
  • Schreiner's greenhouse.  Old maps show the spot now occupied by the Kerr Arts and Cultural Center (the former Kerrvile post office) once had gardens and a greenhouse.  Some friends noticed the greenhouse appears sunken into the ground, perhaps to better cool (or warm) the plants inside.
  • the photographer's name: O'Neal.
  • Schreiner's store doesn't appear to stretch all the way to Water Street in this image, but it's possible that extension is just not visible in this poorly copied print.
If you see anything else, please let me know in the comments section below.

3 comments:

  1. I was enlightened several years ago while researching the George Ranch. And I can't believe that I didn't know this but I didn't and I can't believe that I am admitting it but I am but never having had much information about oxen in anything that I had written or researched, I had always thought that ox was a specific breed!From the time that I read about them in school I thought this! How silly of me! But I did learn that an ox is any breed of cattle that is used for pulling wagons, farm plows, etc. So now maybe someone else will have the light turned on with this triva! I enjoy your photos! Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. It must have been a hot day when this photo was taken because the second floor windows appear to be open.

    The lead animal looks as if he could use a hearty meal - he's just skin and bones.

    The driver of this ox team must have been English because he's driving the team down the left side of the road.

    Ok, that really wasn't much of a joke - sorry. :)

    There is a utility pole in the photo. When did Kerrville first get electricity and telephone service?

    I always enjoy seeing the iron fence that surrounds the Schreiner home. It's interesting to see the fence extended past the current land boundaries. In the photo, it appears to reach as far as the property where the Arts and Cultural Center now stands.

    Although this photo was perhaps taken in the 1890's, there is a concrete sidewalk running the entire length of that section of street.

    ReplyDelete
  3. agnes morley cleaveland's memoir: NO LIFE FOR A LADY mentions that oxen were gradually being replaced by mules in the late 1880s; as mule production in missouri was just beginning on a large scale.

    ReplyDelete

Please remember this is a rated "family" blog. Anything worse than a "PG" rated comment will not be posted. Grandmas and their grandkids read this, so please, be considerate.

AddThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails