New Kerr County History Book Available!

Friday, April 12, 2013

Kerrville in the 1950s: the hospital, Penney's, Lehmann's, and Schreiner's

This is a shot of the north side of the 700 block of Water Street in downtown Kerrville, showing the hospital, J C Penney's, Lehmann's, and the Schreiner Company.  I remember these buildings, though by the time I was a boy Lehmann's had become Winn's.  None of these buildings remain today, save the Schreiner building.
Click on image to enlarge
700 block of Water Street, Kerrville, mid-1950s

You can subscribe for FREE to Kerr History updates by clicking HERE.

4 comments:

  1. I always enjoyed going into Lehmann's Five and Dime store.

    It had creaky wooden floors which, for some reason, appealed to me.

    Also, I enjoyed the lunch counter, and always looked forward to visiting Santa, who for some reason was always located next to the toy department. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember going into Lehmann's barefoot and coming out with black soles as a child. But it was one of my favorite destinations, usually with my grandmother Wilma (Bill) Meyners for marbles or cheap toys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed looking at this photo.

    Thank you, Joe.

    You enlighten our world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Was it Lehmann's or J.C. Penney in which they put your money in a canister and then shot it upstairs? And you would wait and your change would come back down in that canister. All money handling was done upstairs in the balcony.

    ReplyDelete

Please remember this is a rated "family" blog. Anything worse than a "PG" rated comment will not be posted. Grandmas and their grandkids read this, so please, be considerate.

AddThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails