New Kerr County History Book Available!

Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Then and Now: the very first H-E-B Grocery Store

Recently I gave a presentation at the Schreiner Mansion, where I paired historic photographs with snaps I'd taken that day with my phone.  I did this because I realized most people haven't studied area photographs as I have, and so it's sometimes confusing to know where an historic photo was taken.  So I took a copy of each historic photograph with me, and tried to find the exact spot where the old photograph was taken -- and then I took a photo with my cellphone.   Over the next few Wednesdays, I'll publish the results here.  Please feel free to share these with your friends.
Also -- I know the building pictured below did not house an "H-E-B" store; originally it was Florence Butt Grocery Company, and then it was named the C. C. Butt Grocery Company.  The name "H-E-B Grocery Company" didn't come until much later.
Click on any image to enlarge
The building which housed Florence Butt's little grocery store.
The Butt family lived above the store.
This photo was taken many years after the store
moved to a different location.
The site today, on Kerrville's Main Street,
between Earl Garrett and Washington Streets.
Florence Butt's store was about where the Hill Country Cafe is today.


2 comments:

  1. I seem to remember a cafe called "The Busy Bee" back in the early 50's where the Hill Country Cafe is shown in the newer photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My grannie is from Kerrville, she was born in 1928. She has told me stories of going to HEB in Kerrville when she was a little girl.

    ReplyDelete

Please remember this is a rated "family" blog. Anything worse than a "PG" rated comment will not be posted. Grandmas and their grandkids read this, so please, be considerate.

AddThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails